Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Zaycon Experience

Have any of you ordered your chicken (or bacon or beef) from Zaycon yet?

zaycon

I was excited when I received the e-mail announcing that they would be holding an event in my area. The pickup location was less than 5 miles from my house too…score! I placed my order for 40 pounds of chicken for $1.49/lb and made sure to make a note of the pickup time.

The pickup had to be made during a one hour time frame. This is because they only have the refrigerated truck for a certain time period before it needs to be returned. The pickup time length will be different in each location…sometimes up to 4 hours.

The pickup process went very smoothly. We didn’t even have to get out of our car! We waited in the car line for less than 5 minutes. They checked our names off of the order list and loaded our box of chicken in the back of the car.

There were 4 separate bags of chicken inside of a larger bag in the box. The larger bag was sealed very well.

IMG_1827, edit

The 4 smaller bags inside were not sealed…

IMG_1828, edit

The chicken breasts just needed to be separated and trimmed before freezing them.

IMG_1831, edit

I just trimmed each one and placed them in a large bowl. I only worked on half of the chicken at a time before packaging them for the freezer.

IMG_1832, edit

I was excited to really put our new Foodsaver to use. My husband found a barely used Foodsaver along with a large amount of Foodsaver bags on Craigslist for $45…not bad!

image

So…this is what 40 pounds of chicken looks like…

IMG_1838, edit

actually there are 2 chicken breasts missing from the picture since we ate them for dinner that night. Ha!

They actually fit into our deep freezer very nicely. Needless to say, I will not have to buy chicken for a long time! There were 42 large chicken breasts in the box and I put 2 in each foodsaver bag.

Zaycon will also be offering ground beef in addition to the chicken. Based on this experience, I will more than likely purchase the ground beef if it is a lower price than I typically pay.

It was a great deal for 100% natural chicken with no added hormones, additives or artificial ingredients. The chicken comes fresh directly from the farm to the sales event and has never been frozen.

Go to their website to see if there are any upcoming events in your area. You can be added to their mailing list for your area so that you are notified of upcoming events in your area.

How long would 40 pounds of chicken last in your household?

No comments: