Saturday, November 12, 2011

December Daily: The Beginning

I have been a fan of Ali Edwards from the moment she entered the scrapbooking scene.

image

{Via}

I have always been drawn to the graphic design components that she implements in all of her work. I have all of her books and never tire at looking through them. I feel like her style, as opposed to many scrapbooking “styles”, will never become obsolete! She started doing a December Daily album in 2007 and I knew that one day I wanted to add that to our annual traditions too!

image

{Via}

I love the idea of being able to document the moments…big and small…that take place during December. Basically, the foundation of the album is created before December arrives so that you aren’t spending all of your time putting your album together rather than spending it with your family!

The other nice thing about this album is that I don’t need to purchase anything new! I just raided my stash for anything that looked “Christmas-like” and got to work! I found a basket and loaded it up.

IMG_1856, edit

I had so many little tags and labels in my stash…it felt good to finally put them to good use!

IMG_1859, edit

As you can see, I have plenty of 7Gypsies products, various stickers and labels, some bakers twine that I scored off of Pick Your Plum a few months ago, some chipboard frames and tags that were on the clearance rack at Target, and some circle tags from Every Jot and Tittle (one of my favorite Etsy shops!).

IMG_1863, edit

…some chipboard letters, rub-ons, and transparencies…

IMG_1865, edit

…and of course the paper!

I had originally planned on using this for an advent project when I picked it up 2-3 years ago…

IMG_1867, edit

…but I have decided to use this as the basis for the numbering of my December days (which I guess can be considered a type of advent/countdown)…and also dictate the color scheme.

First, I had to decide on the page size. I have seen that many of these items get to be pretty bulky by the end of the month so I didn’t want to put them in a premade album and discover that it was too small at the end of the month! Based off of what Ali has blogged about regarding her process over the last 5 years, I decided to go with 8 1/2 x 6 inch pages.

Once I got started, the project went fairly quickly! Since I am only building the foundation of the album at this point, I didn’t add a lot of the detail work that I would normally add. I haven’t even numbered the pages since I will more than likely move the pages around depending on what each day of December holds! Of course, with any good creative process comes a little bit of a mess…

IMG_1869, edit

I only spent a couple of hours on it this evening and already have most of the foundation finished. Tomorrow, I will pull out the paint and the ink (my favorite part of the process) and add a few creative touches here and there.

Here is a quick peek at what I have so far…

IMG_1873, edit

What? It doesn’t look like much? Well, I don't want to give away too much at this point. I will reveal the pages as I put them together in December!

Oh…and look what my little creative 6 year old was working on in the next room while I was working…

IMG_1868, edit

These are the scraps leftover from her project. She was cutting out letters and hearts and then gluing them onto a card for her friend. You can see her writing a little note to go in the card in this picture. She said that she wants to be an artist and she can’t be an artist unless she practices. Makes me happy!

No comments: