Thursday, October 20, 2011

Roasted Tomato Soup

I don’t know what the weather has been like where you live, but I can definitely tell that Fall is here in Virginia Beach. This week has been a little warmer, but the 2 weeks prior to this week were BEAUTIFUL!! I love this time of year and the cool crisp weather that we have been experiencing!

image

When it came time to plan my meals for last week, I was definitely in the mood for some yummy soups to go along with the cool weather! One of my favorite soups is tomato soup. Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich is definitely one of my favorite comfort foods. I am no longer satisfied with the canned soups that I used to eat though. I have tried quite a few homemade tomato soup recipes and have finally combined them into my “go-to” homemade Roasted Tomato Soup recipe!

IMG_1123, edit

First, find some beautiful red tomatoes…

IMG_1107, edit

After they are stemmed and quartered, place the tomatoes in 2 casserole dishes with the garlic, oil, salt, and pepper and toss to coat.

IMG_1110, edit

Roast the tomatoes in a 450 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until the tomatoes are very soft.

IMG_1113, edit

Now, if you are not worried about having the little pieces of tomato skin in your soup then you can skip this next step. Personally, I can’t stand them so I am willing to take the extra step to remove the skin!

Remove the tomato skins and discard. This is actually pretty easy to do if you have roasted the tomatoes long enough. I use 2 forks and just peel back the skin…it comes right off!

Place peeled tomatoes and smashed garlic cloves in a large pot.

IMG_1114, edit

Clearly, I am NOT a food photographer!

Add all remaining ingredients except for the cream in the pot with the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

IMG_1116, edit

Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.

IMG_1117, edit

You could also place the soup into a blender to puree.

IMG_1119, edit

Stir in the cream and serve! You can add some salt and pepper to taste if needed. Personally, I like to taste the sweetness of the tomatoes in the soup so I don’t add much salt.

Seriously…my mouth is watering as I am typing this!!

I love serving this along with some Pesto-Mozzarella Dippers! Yum!

IMG_1122, edit

These are basically grilled cheese sandwiches using french bread, pesto, and fresh mozzarella slices!

IMG_1121, edit

 

Click {here} to download or print this recipe.

Roasted Tomato Soup

1/4 cup olive oil

6 garlic cloves, smashed

2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 teaspoons dry basil

1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil with herbs

5 pounds of tomatoes, stemmed and quartered

2 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup heavy cream

 

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Toss tomatoes with garlic, oil, salt, and pepper to coat evenly

3. Roast in 2 casserole dishes for 40 minutes or until very soft

4. Remove peels from roasted tomatoes (optional).

5. Add all ingredients except the heavy cream into a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

6. Use immersion blender in pot or place soup into blender to puree until smooth.

7. Stir in cream and serve! Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.

 

Don’t forget about the Erasable Label giveaway. I have decided to extend the giveaway until the end of the month. I will now close the giveaway on Monday, October 31st at midnight ET!

 

Linking up with:

Serenity Now: Weekend Bloggy Reading

Keeping It Simple: Motivate Me Monday

The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up

One Tough Mother: Not So Tough Tuesdays

No comments: