Monday, October 17, 2011

31 Days: Clear the Air in Your Home Part 2

Last week, I posted a few tips for how to clear the air in your home in order to create a more peaceful environment in your home. Here are some additional ways that you can work towards this goal:

Did you know that, according to the EPA, the air inside of our homes is usually more polluted than the outside air of highly industrialized cities such as Los Angeles?? Much of that “pollution”, that the EPA is referring to in that statement, is from chemicals in products that we *think* are making our homes cleaner and safer. A little over a year ago, I was surprised to discover that many of the products I had been using for years contained chemicals that were known to cause cancer (carcinogens) or affect the nervous system (neurotoxins) in many negative ways.

image

In the past, when I purchased cleaning products, I was more interested in how well they worked than what warnings were on the label. Do you know that the label on the toilet cleaner that I was using instructed me to use safety glasses, goggles, a face shield, and personal protective equipment such as a *respirator* while cleaning the toilet!! What?!?!

image

Just imagine how these chemicals are affecting those that have issues with allergies and asthma! Most people think that they are safe in their own homes, but I am sure that most people would make different choices about what products they brought into their homes if they knew everything about the chemicals in those products.

If you have been following this blog for any time at all, then you have probably heard me rave about the Shaklee products that I use!

IMG_0889, edit

I have been using them for a little over a year now and I will never switch back to anything else! Not only do they work better than most cleaning products that I have used in the past, but I know that they are safe for my family!!

Many people choose to make their own cleaning products in order avoid harsh chemicals and that is great. I found that the Shaklee products are even more cost-effective than using homemade cleaning products though!

Check out this cost-comparison sheet:

Get Clean Cost Comparison 2009 -- MN

{Click image to enlarge}

Do you make your own cleaning products? Have you found any safe cleaning products that you swear by?

Don’t forget to enter the giveaway for the Erasable Freezer Labels!! Giveaway ends Friday, October 21st!!

No comments: