Monday, September 12, 2011

Maintaining Health and Wellness



Thanks to Walgreens for sponsoring my writing. Help Walgreens help others! Visit their Facebook page here to learn about their charitable partners and decide which cause Walgreens will donate to with a quick vote.

What is "wellness?"


As an RN, I am a strong believer in the importance of prevention! As a parent, I also try to implement prevention of illness in my family's everyday activities.

Handwashing:
I make sure my kids wash their hands before school/daycare, after school/daycare, before eating, after play dates, etc… I feel that this is one of the easiest ways to prevent illness in my home!
Activity: 
“Regular exercise can cut the number of cold and flu episodes occurring over the course of a year by 25 to 50 percent!”

Plenty of sleep: 
Sleep deprivation nearly doubles the risk of getting a cold or flu”.

Flu vaccination:
The CDC says that flu vaccine is the single best way to prevent influenza!
Walgreens has already started advertising the availability of the flu vaccine at their pharmacies!
 
Both of my girls have already received their vaccinations this year (so thankful to be able to check that off of my to-do list!)...now I just need to make the time to go in and get one for myself!

Healthy Diet:
A healthy diet can boost your immune system to help prevent infection and illness. A healthy diet needs to be in place before you get sick rather than waiting until you get sick. Include more colorful fruits and vegetables….they contain Vitamin C and D. Vitamin D has recently been shown in studies to help prevent the flu specifically! What if you have a picky eater? That brings me to my next point!

Vitamins:
My 6 year old is a very picky eater. I know that she does not get all her nutritional needs from her diet! Also, many of the fruits and vegetables that we buy do not contain the amount of nutrients that we think they do. In most cases, they are grown thousands of miles away, picked before they are ripe, treated or frozen/canned. Many are grown in fields that are over-used and therefore the soil does not contain the nutrient level that it used to years ago.

While I totally agree that we should maintain a healthy diet with the right amounts of fruits and vegetables, I still give my children multivitamins so that I know for sure that they are getting the vitamins and minerals that they need every day. They love taking their vitamins every day and make sure and remind me when I get so busy that I forget!

As you can see, these steps are all pretty easy to implement! Prevention is key! How do you promote wellness in your family?

Don't forget to help Walgreens help others! Visit their Facebook page here to learn about their charitable partners and decide which cause Walgreens will donate to with a quick vote. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.

No comments: