Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hurricane Irene’s “Aftermath”

Last weekend Hurricane Irene moved through our area here in Virginia Beach. Thankfully, we were not hit as hard as was originally forecasted. I wanted to share a few pics of the “aftermath” though. I use that term loosely since it really could have been much worse (and was for some people). I’ve had a few of my readers e-mail me to check in on me so…here are some pics!

image

We did have to deal with a 28+hour power outage. It was pretty warm the day after Irene moved through, so it was a little bit miserable in the middle of the afternoon. I’m so glad that we were able to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather the day before!

image

We had a few tree limbs down in the backyard…

IMG_0814

One of our picnic benches blew over, but at least my spray painting workbench stood firm! Ha!

Our fence is probably original to the house. It is barely standing up. On one side of the yard, the post is completely rotted at the bottom so the whole fence just sways in even the slightest breeze. I can’t believe that our fence is still standing! Unfortunately, our gate was not so lucky. The gate must have swung open during the storm without us noticing. The force of the wind caused one of the 2x4’s to split in half! Bummer!

IMG_0816

Since the city would be coming by to pick up all of our storm debris from the curb, I decided this would be a great time to trim back our tree! So…I gave my husband a reason to use his chainsaw and I have a nicely trimmed tree! Ha!

IMG_0822

The funniest part of the entire storm (hence my little giggle in the video clip below) was when our shed tried to fly out of our yard! The previous owners left an aluminum shed in the backyard that we aren’t particularly attached to. We use it as a place to store the lawnmower right now, but we are definitely looking to replace it when we get a chance. The sides of the shed became completely unattached to the base of the shed during the storm.

Although we weren’t worried about saving the shed, we didn’t want it to cause damage to our house or the neighbors house if it came loose so…my husband secured it back down to the base.

We are very fortunate that we didn’t have to deal with as strong of a storm as was previously forecasted. There are areas in our city that are facing quite a bit of recovery time from the storm so we are very thankful to be safe.

Next up…Hurricane Katia…

Capture

Someone needs to inform her of the rule that she is not allowed here until at least the storm debris from the last storm is picked up by the city!! Good grief!

No comments: