Monday, August 22, 2011

Rainbow Birthday Party

My daughter just turned 3 and I decided to have a rainbow themed party for her birthday. She loves rainbows! 9 times out of 10, she will choose to draw a rainbow if you give her a paper and crayons.

I’m sure that most of you have seen all of the rainbow cakes on various blogs over the past couple of years. I have always wanted to make one! I make my girls’ birthday cakes every year and I love it…even if I stress out about it a little bit at the last minute! Ha! You can see some of the other cakes that I have made in this post.

I spent a lot of time browsing Pinterest, my favorite time-consuming resource for finding inspiration for anything!!

Capture2

I had streamers left over from our St. Patrick’s Day crafts so I used them to make rainbows!

IMG_0719

IMG_0721

IMG_0675

I used some of our favorite fruits to make a rainbow fruit platter:

IMG_0676

I also tried to have a rainbow variety of veggies:

IMG_0677

I had to include some rainbow candy too:

IMG_0678

I originally had bigger, more creative plans for the goody bags, but I started running out of time to get things done so I just found some cute party bags at Target.

IMG_0679, edit

Now for my favorite part….THE CAKE!!

The cake recipe that I use makes a little more than your average box mix. I just doubled that recipe and then divided the batter into 6 bowls. I added some Wilton icing colors for each color of the rainbow….red,orange, yellow, green, blue, purple.

Capture

IMG_0640

IMG_0641

It was so fun pulling these bright colorful cakes out of the oven!

IMG_0643

Ugh! Looks like it is time to clean my oven again. I guess you can watch for a post on that soon. Ha!

I leveled each cake and then I wrapped each cake separately and put them in the freezer until it was time to frost them. This makes them easier to frost…less crumbs to deal with!

I pulled them out the night before the party and started on the crumb layer.

IMG_0660

I had read that it was important to put some “supports” in the center of the cake so that it wouldn’t tip over. It didn’t really seem like it would tip over, but I decided to play it safe. Some suggested dowel rods, but others said straws would work just fine too. Since I already had straws, I decided to just go with them.

Problem: My cakes were frozen, remember?

Solution: Thread a straw onto a kabob skewer and then remove the skewer after the straws have been inserted! I could have just used the skewers for the supports, but I didn’t want to have to mess with trimming them off.

Result: A very secure cake! Yay!

IMG_0664

Just trim off the part of the straw that sticks out above the cake.

IMG_0666

Then, I put it in the fridge for an hour to let the crumb layer harden a little. This will make it easier to frost the final layer!

Even late at night, I had another brilliant idea! I have always thought that it would be handy to have a rotating cake decorating stand, but I could never justify actually getting one. I had already pulled out our veggie tray for the next day and a light bulb went off when I remember that it was a lazy susan style veggie tray! My cake tray fit perfectly on the lazy susan base! Fabulous!!

IMG_0668

I guess that I need to thank my mother-in-law for the “rotating cake decorating stand!”

My brilliant ideas didn’t stop there though. I have always had a hard time finding ways to wrap up my finished cakes in the fridge until the party starts. This cake was particularly tall too! Then I remembered that I had been saving pieces of thin cardboard for another project (watch for that in a future post!). The cardboard fit perfectly between the cake plate and the edge of the veggie tray. I added a little tape and plastic wrap on the top (not pictured) and…voila!

IMG_0671

IMG_0672

The next day, I added some simple cake toppers…rainbow pinwheels that I had made from felt:

IMG_0667

IMG_0694

Here is the best part…

IMG_0699

Ta da!!!

This was such a fun cake to make! I’m so glad that I finally had an excuse to make it!

Do you make your kids’ birthday cakes?

Inspiration Sources:

Rainbow Streamers

Rainbow Fruit Platter

Rainbow Veggies

No comments: