Saturday, August 20, 2011

Habitat for Humanity ReStore

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you?

image

I found our local ReStore a couple of years ago…and it is less than 5 miles from our house!!

ReStore resale outlets accept donated goods which are sold to the general public at a fraction of the retail price. The proceeds help local Habitat affiliates fund the construction of Habitat homes within their communities. What a great way to help out your community!!

image

I definitely don’t go there as often as I would like to, but I try to remember to look there first before buying new building supplies…depending on the project.

My husband keeps trying to convince me to buy an old wooden door that has been there for months. It is gigantic with really pretty iron detail…kind of like this one…except it has more iron details (hinges, handle, etc…)

image

We think that it would look great repurposed as a table, but it just wouldn’t work in our house.

I have been on the lookout for a mirror to go above our fireplace. I actually found one at the ReStore about 6 months ago for $10. That was a great deal for a large size mirror! It had a dark wood frame and was a little beat up. That wasn’t a problem because I was planning on distressing it anyways! The problem is…I haven’t yet made the time to do the planned “distressing”…so it sits in the same place I left it right after purchasing it.

A couple of weeks ago, I had some free time and wandered into the ReStore. I wandered around not really looking for anything in particular when I came across 2 boxes of large brand new mirrors. They were still in their packaging and bubble wrap. They had hardwood frames with some kind of enamel-like paint. Here is a listing at Home Depot for a similar mirror (I think mine is actually a little bit bigger than this too)…

mirror

$152!!!

They happened to be having a great sale that weekend too…50% off of everything!! I didn’t actually find out about the sale until I was paying for the mirror…even better! I only ended up paying $15 for that mirror!!

Here’s a quick pic of my $152 $15 mirror hanging where it was meant to be…

IMG_0656, edit

I also went back and picked up a second mirror to go in one of our upstairs bathrooms. If you live here in Virginia Beach…hurry over to the Virginia Beach ReStore!! There were quite a few mirrors left, but I am sure they will go quickly.

Oh…see those bird houses on the left? I finished those up at the beginning of spring. I saw them over on The Speckled Dog and knew that I had to make them! She also sells them in her Etsy shop if you are interested in buying them.

image

{source}

I’ve been looking for an old birdcage to display on my mantle too, but I have yet to find one! Something like this…

image

What is your favorite item that you have found at a garage sale, thrift store, Craigslist, etc…?

No comments: