Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Running Update

I am now 2 1/2 weeks away from my first 5K! I'm actually pretty excited about it at this point. These feelings may change as the race gets closer though...especially once the race is within the 10-day weather forecast. The weather right now is perfect....70 degrees for the high this week...but I don't expect it to be that way on race day. I haven't seen the course in person yet so I am hoping it is shaded. Ha!
Yes, I realize the irony of a race sponsored by a fast food company, but...it was the only 5K that was taking place after my C25K program was to be completed and before the full summer heat arrives....and I love Chick-fil-A.

Up until this week, I have been following the Couch to 5K plan very closely. This week, I was supposed to complete 2.75 mile runs in 27 minutes. Instead, I decided (during my run actually) to just run the full 5K distance! I let myself walk across the streets on the way back (total of 1 minute and 18 seconds) and finished up in just over 34 minutes! I was pretty happy with that time considering it was the first time in my life that I have run that far! It was on Mother's Day too so it was a nice little bonus to add to the end of my day!

My goal is to finish the 5K in under 30 minutes...just because! We'll see what happens on race day.

This morning I went out for a quick morning run before my husband left for work. I knew that I wouldn't be able to get a full 3 miles in before he had to leave and, to be honest, I still haven't figured out how to wake up that early and actually have a productive run! So... I decided to try to run the 1st mile in under 10 minutes. I was pretty happy to average a 9:30 run for the first mile. I walked for a while and then ran the rest of the way back to the car (not far...less than 1/4 mile actually) at an 8:00 pace. Whew! I definitely wouldn't be able to keep that pace up for very long at all...I don't know how some of you do it!

I know that I won't stay motivated to run without some sort of plan or goal so...I already have my sights set on this one in October...
It is held at the same location as the 5K that I am running, but is on the trail instead of the road. I might be crazy for even considering this race, but I need to have a goal in order to stay motivated.

I also am trying to figure out a way that both my husband and I can participate in this one in August...
...a mud run at one of the local Navy bases! Fun!

At this point, all I can say is that I don't hate running yet. Ha! Even though I don't feel so great in the middle of some of my runs, I feel great afterward and I always look forward to my next run. I still find that strange, but it is true. I got up at 5:45 to run this morning...that has to mean something, right?

If any of you are experienced runners and would like to share some tips with me for my first race, that would be greatly appreciated!!

There are only 10 days left to take advantage of the free Shaklee membership (15% off for life plus other special offers; no minimums to maintain)with a $30 purchase. Read more here.

Linking up to:
Let's Move it Momma's: Wednesday Workout Blog Hop 

No comments: