Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How I Organized my Schedule…

Not only have I have spent the last month clearing some of the physical clutter out of my home, but I have also been clearing some of the “clutter” out of my schedule.
image
Before I had kids (and even while my first one was pretty little), I usually spent one day doing the majority of my cleaning and then just tried to maintain it on a daily basis. I also was working 14 hour days at the hospital so I had no choice but to clean everything on my days off.

image
FYI…..my favorite cleaning product…Basic H2…you can read more about it here…{Basic H2= “Liquid Gold”}











Pretty soon, I realized that I couldn’t realistically get all of my cleaning done in one day anymore. Many people are able to get it all done in one day and that is great, but it just wasn’t working for me.

I started designating days that I would do certain tasks….for example, every Friday I washed the girls sheets and every Monday I washed our sheets…I cleaned out the fridge on Thursdays since it was pretty empty in preparation for grocery shopping on Fridays. The problem was that I never wrote any of this down! Then I would realize…for example…that I hadn’t dusted the ceiling fans in a couple of months.

So, toward the end of last year, I sat down and made a list of all of the things that I wanted to get accomplished each week…monthly…twice a year…etc…
image
I added things to the list as I thought of them. At one point, I literally walked through every room in my house and made sure that I had included everything that I wanted. I’m sure that I will eventually come across something that has been overlooked, but I’m OK with that. I will just re-evaluate my schedule and how it is working every once in a while and change things up and add things if I need to.

So…without further ado….here is how I organized my schedule:
IMG_8617, edit
I have read quite a few blog posts recently featuring different daily checklists. I took little bits and pieces from each one and personalized them for my own use.

Each day’s list is printed on a half sheet of paper…..front and back. One for each day of the week M-F and just one for the weekend. I typically try to get most of my cleaning done during the week so that I don’t have to worry about it on the weekends.
IMG_8619, edit
On each day, I have a section for my “daily” tasks as well as the tasks that are assigned to that day. When I add the meal for the day in the “Dinner” box, I also review the recipe and add any prep work (chop vegetables, shred cheese, marinade meat, etc…) that I may be able to get done if I get a free 10 minutes. It really helps out when dinner time comes around if some of the prep work is already done!

I also have a section for paperwork so that I don’t end up with the “before” picture of my desk from this post {here}. I usually do 2 loads of laundry each day and maybe 1 during the weekend. This includes my sheets, towels, kitchen towels, cleaning rags, kitchen rugs, etc… They are each assigned a day!

Now..as much as I like to try to get the “assigned” tasks done each day…they are not set in stone. There are some days that everything on the list doesn’t get done because we have extra errands that we have to run…or we are just having an “off” day. Not a problem…I just add it to the next days list.


Obviously, this has the potential to get out of control if I keep adding the previous days tasks to the next days list, but it seems to be working for me so far. I have just learned to prioritize each day’s tasks. I choose which task is more important to get done during the time that I have available to complete it. I don’t really plan my day around it…I just refer to my list when some spare time pops up!
image
I am definitely a “list maker” so I love being able to mark things off the daily list. It really helps me see that I did accomplish something that day…even if the floor is covered with toys by the end of the day and I am rushing to get dinner done in time.

At this point, I just covered my lists with contact paper. I am going to give it a “trial period” before I take them in to get them laminated…just in case I need to switch some things around.

I was already in the process of putting this together when I came across this post at “A Day in My Life”…Daily Docket:
image
{via}
I loved the tips that she gave on which markers to use! That may not seem like an important topic to you, but I was planning on using dry erase markers…and I wasn’t thrilled with the mess that I thought it could potential make. Now I am using fine tip Sharpies and it works great. The marks don’t completely erase off of the contact paper, but I can deal with that until I get them laminated! Thanks for the tips Tiffany!

You can contact Tiffany and she will send you a PDF of her daily docket for you to personalize and use! Awesome! The details are {here}.

You can also find printable lists for many things…including daily checklists…over at Simple Mom…{downloads}.

So…what works for you? Are you a list maker? Do you complete all of your cleaning in one day so you don’t have to worry about it the rest of the week? I would love to hear about it in the comments!

I originally planned on posting all of my organizing posts in the month of January, but I have so many more and January is over! So…watch for upcoming posts on the rest of my journey to “Simplifying for the New year!”

Also, don’t forget that I am offering free advertising for your blog or online shop until I reach 300 followers via GFC! Get the details here…FREE ADVERTISING!!

I'm linking up to:
Organizing Junkie: 52 Weeks of Organizing 
Between Naps on the Porch: Metamorphosis Monday 
New Nostalgia: Anti-Procrastination Tuesday 
Not Just a Housewife: Show Me What Ya Got 
Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday 
Me and My Bucket: What You're Working With 
Organize and Decorate Everything: We're Organized Wednesday 
We are THAT Family: Works for Me Wednesday 
The Trendy Treehouse: Creative Share Blog Hop 
Women Who Do it All: Idea Sharin' Wednesday 
Shabby Chic Cottage: Transformation Thursday 
Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff 
Fireflies and Jellybeans: Show Off Your Stuff 
Fingerprints on the Fridge: Feature Yourself Friday 
Tatertots and Jello: Weekend Wrap-up 
House of Grace 

No comments: