Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Heart Shaped Hand Pies

I have been seeing a lot of these hand pies featured around the blogosphere and I thought they looked like something fun to make with my daughter!

These are very easy and great for a little Valentine’s Day treat! If you feel like making a homemade pie crust…go right ahead!! I have no problem admitting that I am not a fan of making my own pie crusts so…Pillsbury it is!! You can use cherry pie filling like I did, apple pie filling, or anything else that sounds yummy to you!
IMG_8733, edit
Have your cute little helper cut the hearts (or circles if it isn’t for Valentine’s Day) out of the pie crust.
IMG_8728, edit
Put a small amount of pie filling between 2 of the hearts and crimp the edges closed with a fork. I kept overstuffing the hearts so the pie filling ended up oozing out of the edges.

My 5 year old is an excellent “egg-washer”!
IMG_8734, edit
Don’t forget a little bit of sugar on each one!
IMG_8739, edit
Put them in the oven at 375 for 18-25 minutes or until golden brown.

I’d like to say that they came out perfectly….like this:
IMG_8753, edit
Ooohh…pretty!!!
Actually…they looked like this when I took them out of the oven..
IMG_8744, edit
Yikes!!
In hindsight, I realize that I probably should have poked some holes (or cute little hearts) in the top. I also forgot to put some water on the edges of the crust before I crimped the edges closed. Oh well….
…at least there was one that didn’t ooze…
IMG_8746, edit
…and my girls still loved them!
IMG_8757, edit
What fun Valentine’s Day treats have you come across and tried?? Share it with me in the comments please!
Don’t forget that I am offering free advertising until I reach 300 followers via Google Friend Connect. You can find the details {here}.

I'm linking up to:
Trendy Treehouse: Creative Share Wednesday
Fireflies and Jellybeans: Show Off Your Stuff
House of Hepworths: Hookin' Up with HOH
It's a Keeper Thursday: Show Me What You've Got  
Kuzak's Closet: Sister Sister Sunday

No comments: