Monday, January 10, 2011

Simplify for the New Year: Starting fresh!

Welcome to January…National Get Organized Month! The arrival of the New Year always brings me the urge to declutter! I feel like the New Year allows me to have a clean slate and I feel like decluttering and simplifying is a great way to get the year off on the right foot!
One of the first things that I do is pull out my brand spankin’ new planner for the New Year!
image
Am I the only one that gets a thrill out of breaking in a brand new year’s planner? I love the feeling of a fresh start that it gives me.
There are a lot of people that I know that use online calendars and planners, but that is just NOT for me!! My husband keeps trying to convince me to use the calendar in Outlook, and I keep refusing. I love having the physical planner to write everything in!! If the online route is the way for you, there are quite a few good options out there.
Cozi.com is the one that I am most familiar with.
image
I have to admit that I even tried it for a while last year, but I quickly determined that it wasn’t for me. It really has a lot of great features…a calendar that is color coded by family member, the ability to have your events e-mailed to you as reminders, a shopping list feature, and more! A quick Google search will provide you with plenty of other options to find the one that is right for you!
If you are like me and need to be “anti-technology” in this one area of your life, then there are many options for you too!
I have been using the Busy Body Book for the last couple of years and I love it! It is what works for me!
image
I love that it has 5 columns so that I can personalize how I organize my days! I currently use a column for myself, a column for my husband, and my girls share a column. I use the 4th column for my “To Do” list as well as birthdays/anniversaries and my 5th column is where I keep track of my meal planning (more on that soon)! The blank columns allow it to be so versatile!
It has plenty of space on the left side of the page for my notes and other details for the events that I list on the calendar side! They offer both calendar year formats as well as academic year formats…both with pretty fun prints on the covers!
image
image
Some of my other favorites are from:
momAgenda:
image
They are a little bit more pricey than the BusyBodyBook, but they are so cute!! Who wouldn’t love a faux crocodile covered planner?!?
ErinCondren.com:
How fun are these!!
image
image
There are over a dozen styles to choose from and you can get them personalized with your name on it! These are definitely on my list of favorites this year!
There are so many more brands to choose from, but these are the ones that have caught my eye over the past couple of years! Do you have a favorite planner? Share it in the comments!!
I use my planner for everything!! I really feel like it is something that helps me cut down on my paper clutter. As soon as I get a save-the-date/invitation/event flyer, it gets written in the planner and I no longer have to hold onto the paper. If there are details such as an address, I just make a note on the left side of the page in the notes section.
I keep track of things around the house that need to get done only a few times a year. I use repositionable sticky tabs to remind me to….for example, change the air intake filters.
image
Each time I complete the task, I just move the sticky tab ahead the amount of time until it needs to be completed again! Super easy!!
Does this sound complicated to you? Do you feel like I am going against my goal of simplifying? For me, when I have a system in place that works…it makes my life easier. Also, by keeping all of my scheduling information in one place, it brings me one step closer to simplifying my life!
image
Watch for one of the next few posts to show the “new home” that I have for my fresh new planner!
Have you been doing some decluttering in your life? Share a link to your posts in the comments to provide some inspiration to the rest of us!
Don’t forget about Shaklee’s January special!! Get over $100 in CINCH products for free!! Read my post here for all the details.
image
I also have an AWESOME deal available to everyone on my mailing list!! Trust me…you don’t want to miss out on this one! E-mail me at healthy-solutions@hotmail.com for more details!!

Linking up to:
Keeping it Simple: Motivate Me Monday
Organize with Sandy: Organizing Mission Monday 
Sassy Sites: Operation Organization 
The DIY Showoff: Inspired to Organize 
Domestically Speaking: Let's Organize

2 comments:

radn said...

Love the online palnner.

Check out these fun notepads that help make organizing fun.

These are from SkelDesign. Enter to with $15 goodies. You get to select.
http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/01/notepads-that-make-organizing-fun.html

Sandy Jenney - Organize with Sandy said...

I know exactly what you mean by starting a new planner for the year. But for the last couple years I have been using my computer for my planner. I periodically do print out the calendars... because of course with any computer you could lose it all. I would hope that my back ups would cover that.
I also tried Cozi and realized I wouldn't be able to use that for my only source and have no desire to have more than one planner.
Thanks for your ideas and linking up to my Organizing Mission Monday link party!