Friday, January 14, 2011

Simplify for the New Year: The Dreaded Junk Drawer


Do you have a “junk” drawer? I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t have a junk drawer…but I hear rumors that those people do exist.
I have to admit that my junk drawer had gotten a little out of control over the past couple of months. I feel like the things I put in there just multiplied when I wasn’t looking and took over!!! Ahhhhh!
IMG_8418
I know, I know….horrible!! You can stop pointing and laughing now!
In my defense, there are organizational containers in there! Don’t you see them….underneath everything…not really serving their purpose at all? I should at least get some points for that, right?
I make an effort to regularly (every 2-3 months or so) clean out this drawer so I am not sure how it got so bad. So…I’m going to blame it on the holidays! Ha! The holidays seem to be a very common scapegoat for many people’s shortfalls this time of year. Anyways…
I emptied everything out of this drawer right onto the counter directly above it. Some of it didn’t even make it onto the counter but right into the trash. I showed no mercy!! I also had a box in which I placed items that belonged elsewhere in my house. For example, I came across a couple packages of batteries and since I keep all of my batteries in containers upstairs in my hall closet…they went into the box.
I cleaned out the drawer and now it was time to put things back. It is always easier to organize a space if you start with an empty clean slate! I reused the containers that were already in there to keep like items together. It is much better to keep things organized if everything has a place…even specific places in a drawer.
IMG_8463, crop
Much better! Now I just have to keep it this way! I am currently in search of some drawer liner to make it look even better. I must have pretty high expectations because I can’t find drawer/shelf liner that I like anywhere!! I want something pretty neutral…do any of you have any tips?
On another note…look what the FedEx man brought to my door this afternoon:
IMG_8452
Yay!! The contents of this box will be used in an upcoming post so stay tuned! I was so excited when this box arrived today!
It is probably a good thing that I don’t live near The Container Store…or Ikea for that matter! I definitely did not appreciate The Container Store as I should have when I lived so close to 2 of them (and Ikea!) when I lived in Illinois! I’m sure that I would find myself in financial ruin if either of these stores were conveniently located near me.

I'm linking up to:
La Bella Vita: Fresh, Clean, and Pure Friday
Fingerprints on the Fridge: Feature Yourself Friday 
Remodelaholic's Anonymous
It's a Hodgepodge Life: Hodgepodge Friday
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating: Flaunt it Friday 
Sassy Sites: Operation Organization
The DIY Showoff: Inspired to Organize
Domestically Speaking: Let's Organize
Truly Lovely: Fancy This Fridays 
I'm an Organizing Junkie: 52 weeks of Organizing 
I heart naptime: Sundae Scoop
WhisperWood Cottage
Also...don't forget about Shaklee's January special...you only have until the end of January to take advantage of a FREE Cinch Sampler Pack (a $101 value!!). Get the details here. Contact me for another great offer available on my Shaklee site at checkout!! Trust me...you don't want to miss this one!









Share your posts related to organizing here:

14 comments:

Susan Evans said...

I know what you mean about junk drawers becoming out of control. I love seeing everything neat and tidy after putting in a drawer organizer. For just being a piece of plastic, they are very helpful.

Amy of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

So much better! Love when the delivery truck comes! Thanks for linking!

Hanna said...

Hi there! I am your newest follower from the blog hop! Lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
I have 5 amazing handmade giveaways going on so be sure to take a peek when you stop by:) Nice meeting you!!

ponytails and cowlicks said...

newest follower!! would love for you to follow back at http://ponytailsandcowlicks.blogspot.com/

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

So impressed. My junk drawer needs some help. Ok, lots of help.

<3, New Follower

jandjhome said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by. It's funny, I've been thinking a lot about organization. My house seems all organized, but if you look in drawers and closets, you are in for a surprise.

Melissa said...

Your drawer looks great! I'm glad that I don't live near The Container Store either. It's bad enough I shop it online so much, but it's one of my absolute favorite stores!

Carol said...

Your AFTER is awsome. I am just far enough away from those two stores. Otherwise I would be in trouble. Looking forward to see whats in the box.

Trixie said...

Our junk drawers look very similar! You did a fantastic job. Isn't the feeling of accomplishment just fantastic?! I did our junk drawer last week and I confess to just opening the drawer for no reason other than to admire how neat it is : )

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

Nice drawer clean up!! :) Did you see on Sassy Sites where she used a sheet of vinyl as her drawer liner? That way you can just choose a neutral color and your done!

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

I completely forgot to tell you THANKS earlier for linking up to Fancy This Fridays!!! SO thanks! :) Hope to see you again THIS Friday on Truly Lovely!!

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

Love how clean and organized your drawer is! It's not the junk drawer anymore!

bella (roz) said...

It's not that I have 'specific junk' drawers....my problem is that I have to many themed drawers that are just a mess in each! Phew, can you come over and clean up my life? Thanks for sharing this post on Fresh Clean and Pure Friday last week. You've certainly motivated me. Now following too!

Becky said...

Nice job! You are on an organizing mission, aren't you? That box is from my FAVORITE store!!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.blogspot.com
Organizing Made Fun