Monday, January 24, 2011

Simplify for the New Year: Conquering the DVD’s!!

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I shared that this box was delivered?
IMG_8452
Here is the reveal…

I’m pretty sure that I am not the only one who has a problem with the amount of space required to store a large collection of DVD’s…at least I hope I am not the only one. Please tell me that I am not the only one!!!
image
Actually, compared to most people, we probably don’t have what would be considered a large collection. Either way…it has been out.of.control!

When my girls decide that they want to watch a movie, they pull all of the movies out and look through them. Of course they don’t put them back like they originally found them! This is usually what it looks like inside our entertainment center…
IMG_8455, edit
Before my oldest daughter was born, we bought some pull out DVD organizers from Ikea that worked great. They fit perfectly in our entertainment center and 2 of them held our entire DVD collection.
IMG_8456, edit
Then we had kids…and our DVD collection quadrupled!! I kept meaning to pick up a couple more the next time we went to Ikea, but I never did.

Early last year, I decided that I was going to purchase some binders with CD/DVD sleeves in them to hold all of our movies (I already do this with our CD’s), but I am so glad that I hadn’t bought them yet.
Jen over at {I heart organizing} (one of my favorite blogs that I have been following for a while now) shared how she organizes her DVD’s and video games here. {Love it!!}

She found this handy media storage case with *hanging* DVD sleeves at the Container Store…brilliant!! They also have this one…it took me a while to decide between the two, but I finally decided on the clear acrylic case. The black one just didn’t fit my style, but I loved that it was a drawer!
image
Each one holds 120 DVDs!! That is basically our entire DVD/video game collection. So…what previously fit on 4 very deep shelves in our entertainment center now fit into one small box!! Perfect!!

I need to order one more so that we have room for any new movies (like the new Tinker Bell movie that is coming out later this year), but for now I only have the one.
IMG_8522, edit
Each sleeve holds 2 DVDs (one on the front and one on the back) and is numbered accordingly.
IMG_8526, edit
At first, I didn’t like the primary colors of the sleeves, but I soon realized how important this was going to be if I wanted my 5 year old to find the movies easily. They are in groups of 20 so it is easy for her to first find the right color and then find the right number.

Jen created a cute inventory sheet (that you can download on her site) and had some great tips to go along with it. For instance, I would naturally want to alphabetize my DVDs and place them in the sleeves. I would have learned the hard way that this was not the best option when I purchased a new movie and then either had them out of alphabetical order or had to reorganize them and create a new inventory list. Thanks Jen for pointing this out!

I also would have typed out my inventory list…but then I would have regretted it when I either had to reprint my list each time I purchased a new movie or had handwritten titles on my typewritten list!

I designed a basic color-coded inventory system:
IMG_8537, edit
This way, my daughter can look through the list and choose the movie that she would like to watch, identify which color group the movie is in, and find the numbered sleeve. I “tested” her a couple of times to make sure that this system would work and it did…yay!! I also made sure that she would be able to put it back in the right spot and she could. Of course, that doesn’t mean that she actually will put it away, but I would like it if the area next to the DVD player didn’t look like this too often:
IMG_8454, edit
Now I needed somewhere to put the inventory lists. I found a small clipboard in the dollar spot at Target (have I mentioned that I love Target?!?) It had an ugly pattern on it that I easily covered up with some scrapbook paper (I have plenty so I didn’t need to purchase anything new). Voila!
IMG_8545, edit
Of course I had to “pretty up” the box a little bit…especially since I wasn’t a fan of the primary colors.
IMG_8535, edit
With a little scrapbook paper and some vinyl lettering (courtesy of my Cricut and Expressions Vinyl), it had my personal touch!

Now I just need to figure out how to convince my 2 year old not to “help” pick out movies! Any suggestions?
Before:
IMG_8455, edit
After:
IMG_8534, edit
There are only 8 more days left to get a FREE Cinch Sampler Pack!!
image
Also, don’t forget about the FREE ADVERTISING available until I reach 300 followers!! E-mail me at healthy-solutions {at} hotmail {dot} com!

I'm linking up to:
DIY Showoff: Project Parade
The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up 
Making the World Cuter Monday 
Between Naps on the Porch: Metamorphosis Monday 
Keeping it Simple: Motivate Me Monday 
Sassy Sites: Operation Organization 
Organize with Sandy: Organizing Mission Monday
Saturday Mornings: Strut your Stuff
Homebody: Mondays Tips and Tricks 
New Nostalgia: Anti-Procrastination Tuesday 
Not Just a Housewife: Show Me What Ya Got 
Thrifty 101: DIY Thrifty Thursday
Organizing Junkie: 52 Weeks of Organizing 
Young and Crafty: Free for All 

Share your organizing posts below! I will be sharing my favorites at the end of the month!

19 comments:

-Kasey said...

Lovin' those containers. Put's mine to shame lol! I just organized our DVD and Game collection last weekend. What a spacer saver it is!

Sally said...

I ordered that system and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I cannot WAIT! You really made it CUTE! Nice job. :)

Organize with Sandy said...

I like the close up pic of how the DVD's hang. I didn't realize that before. Maybe I should have, but have looked at those before on the site and hadn't noticed that. Thanks

Megan @ Polish The Stars.com said...

Those containers are great! We keep all of our DVDs in a big CD wallet but since I keep them in alphabetical order it is difficult to add new DVDs. I may have to try some of these!

Sally said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm YOUR newest follower. :)

TheCraftInMe said...

Awesome, I will have to try these, thanks for sharing!

Shauna K said...

this is a FABULOUS idea!! you've inspired me... I'm pretty sure we'll be adopting this system too because our collection is just too big to house hehe!!

mommy2luke2008 said...

Love this! I have a pretty big entertainment center and it's getting full with dvd's, so this will probably be in my future, plus I would love to get a flat screen tv and we all know that those stands for them have even less storage! Great post!

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

Awesome idea!!! And I can tell it saves SO much space!!!

Jenna said...

I'm pretty sure I need this!

Holly said...

Awesome! I'm going to have to look into this.
Thanks for linking up with this post, too!

Pam said...

These are brilliant! I just did a quick count and realized the DVDs that currently take up two full shelves on our living room bookcase would fit into ONE box. I am SO ordering one!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Wow, this is quite the system! Functional, yet pretty! Organizing is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Thank you for stopping by my blog and finding it interesting enough to follow! :) I'll be sure to let you know how my dehydrated fruit roll-ups turn out!

Jackie Koll said...

I have a question on this - what did you do with all the DVD "boxes" that the DVD's came in? Did you actually throw them out? I tried doing this with my CD's once but than couldn't throw away the jewel cases . ..just wondering what someone else did :-)

A Home Made by Kiki said...

Hi Jackie! I actually just boxed them up to go in the attic. I really hated having to keep them, but I wanted to be able to have the case if I ever decided to give some of them away or something like that. Thanks for visiting!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great product review. We have more than our fair share of DVDs, and yes, they mostly belong to the kids. ;) I love the idea of a color coded system! Thanks so much for joining my "Bliss-at-Home" project. :)

Sam's Minions (aka parents- Angie and Brian) said...

What a great idea. I know that as our son gets older, we will run out of room for our DVDs. I'm putting this on my " to purchase list."

Carol said...

Great idea. I was thinking about the same thing as Jackie. What did you do with the cases? I love the box and how you decorated it. Happy Organizing!

A Home Made by Kiki said...

Jackie and Carol...as much as I hated to do it, I just boxed them up and put them in the attic. I didn't want to completely get rid of them in case we ever decide to give them away or sell them at a garage sale. I would much rather have them take up space in the attic than take up space in my living room!