Monday, January 17, 2011

How CLEAN is your water??

I’m taking a short break from posting about the de-cluttering that I am doing around my house to share some important information with you!
image
Do you have any idea what is in the water that you drink at your house? Studies have found 315 pollutants in the tap water than Americans drink! More than half of the contaminants found are not subject to health or safety regulations. This means that they can “legally” be present in drinking water!!
image
Lead is a major concern…especially if you have young children! Although water facilities show that lead is rarely found in the source water, it can very easily leach out of the plumbing materials right into your water!
image
Even plumbing that is legally considered lead-free can contain up to 8% lead according to the EPA. Exposure to lead can cause physical and mental delays in young children. Up to 20% of lead exposure comes from drinking water!
There are so many other dangerous contaminants that can find their way into your water, but I am not going to go into great detail on them. You can find more information from the EPA’s website. Here are some basic facts about the kinds of contaminants besides lead that are found in drinking water:
  • Disinfection By-products: Long-term exposure may cause increased risk of cancer, as well as liver, kidney, or central nervous system problems.
  • Agricultural Pollutants: Long-term exposure may cause increased risk of cancer, as well as eye, liver, kidney, spleen, blood, and nervous system problems.
  • Industrial Pollutants: Long-term exposure may cause increased risk of cancer, as well as blood, nervous system, kidney, and liver problems.
Yikes! Pretty scary, huh?!
According to EPA, public water utilities have violated the
Safe Drinking Water Act more than
700,000 times
in the past seven years.
That doesn’t make me feel very comfortable about my water at all!
Why not choose bottled water?
Bad Choice for Your Wallet
Bottled water is 100s to 1,000s X more expensive than tap water


Bad Choice for the Environment
1.5 million barrels of oil are used in the production of bottled water each year—enough to fuel 50,000 cars for one year
• 1,640,000 tons of packaging waste come from bottled water
• Only 34% of water bottles are recycled

Bottled water may not be contaminant free.
  • The Environmental Working Group found
    10 popular brands had a total of 38 contaminants.

Up until a few months ago, we filled our reusable gallon water bottles at a refilling station outside our local grocery store. It cost us 30 cents/gallon which was much more affordable than if we had purchased our gallon water bottles in the grocery store!
image
I frequently ran out of water and sometimes it took me a couple of days before I was able to refill our bottles so….we were stuck drinking tap water…blech!! It was pretty inconvenient.
Now I use Shaklee’s Get Clean water pitcher….it’s so much more convenient!
image
  • Get Clean Water is a multi-patented water filtration system that uses a solid block of carbon to filter and clean your water.
  • Each Get Clean Water filter handles 80 gallons of water, twice as much as Brita and Pur, and each filter is made from sustainable coconut shell carbon using a zero-emission process. Plus, it's the first pitcher with a refillable carbon-block filter system, so there's less waste going to the landfills.
image
  • Get Clean® Water Pitcher is the first pitcher with an automatic meter that shows gallons filtered, so you know exactly when to replace your filter—no more guessing!
  • Certified to reduce lead (Brita and PUR
    pitchers are not!)
  • Get Clean  Water Pitcher - Food Safe: BPA-Free; 10 cup capacity
I purchased the Get Clean Year of Water back in October when it was offered at a discounted rate (a great reason to become a member…awesome exclusive deals throughout the year!) so…it ended up being cheaper per gallon than filling it at the filtration machine...even when I factored in the cost of the pitcher and the housing kit along with the 4 filters! That works for me! When I run out of the 4 filters that I have (I am not even halfway through the first filter...that probably means that I need to drink more water during the day...one of my goals this year) and have to buy the 3 pack of filters, it will be costing me less than 22 cents/gallon!!

So....for only pennies a gallon, Get Clean Water gives you clean, great-tasting water.

Get Clean water clearly outperforms the leading brands:
image
(Click chart to view larger!)

I’ve also been told that the Get Clean water filters in the housing kit fit in the Brita pitchers, but I haven’t verified that personally. I’m also not sure if the Brita pitchers are BPA-free or not. Just thought I would share that with you in case some of you already have a Brita pitcher!
Cleaner, healthier water is just a pitcher away.

Don't forget about Shaklee's January special!!


Also, I have an AWESOME giveaway going on through my mailing list only! The winner will be drawn January 19th at 8PM EST!!
If you would like the details, send me an e-mail at
healthy-solutions {at} hotmail {dot} com
Trust me, you don't want to miss out on this!!

No comments: