Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Where can you find good Salsa Verde in Virginia?

The answer to this is…..you have to make it yourself! We are originally from Arizona so we are a little “spoiled” when it comes to finding good Mexican food and salsa! We have been disappointed by almost every Mexican restaurant that we have tried locally and have been very disappointed by the selection of salsas in the local grocery stores.

At this point, I would like to give a shout out to Pelon’s Baja Grill at the Oceanfront. It is the one place that we have tried that we have loved!! The family that runs it is originally from Southern California so their Baja style Mexican food is right up our alley! If you live locally, you definitely need to check it out!
image
We quickly realized that if we wanted good Mexican food, we would have to make it ourselves. At first, we would make our own Mexican food dishes and then suffer through the jars of store-bought salsa, but I soon discovered that it was worth the extra effort to make my own salsa.

Here is the recipe that I have been using for Restaurant Style Salsa. I have been following The Pioneer Woman via her blog for a few years now. I have loved everything of hers that I have made. This salsa is just the way I like it!
image
Here is the Salsa Verde recipe that I have been using. I watched this episode on the Food Network one day and decided to try the recipe for the salsa. Now don’t get me wrong, I definitely don’t consider Paula Deen much of an authority on good Mexican food…..at all really. I don’t really think the recipe for the fish fajitas looks that great, but the salsa is just what I was looking for. It definitely doesn’t have as much heat as some of you may like, but you can always add a little bit of heat if you want.

You have to start with some tomatillos…
IMG_7695
These tomatillos definitely weren’t the best that I have found, but it was all that was left at my grocery store. I literally only left 2 tomatillos at the store and that was only because they weren’t that great either!
IMG_7697
This is what they should look like after you broil them:
IMG_7698
I usually leave them in a little longer, but I was impatient this time!
Put all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor (we just received a food processor for Christmas so I am looking forward to putting it to use for some salsa!). Don’t forget the cilantro….it is a key ingredient in this recipe….yum!
IMG_7701
Blend to desired texture…
IMG_7704
…and enjoy on your favorite Mexican dish…..or just with chips!
I like it best when the tomatillos are still warm when I add them and the salsa comes out steaming. Delicious!!
I’m sure there are better recipes out there, but this one works for me!

 Don't forget....there are only 4 days left to get a FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP with Shaklee. Read more about it here.
I am linking up with:
Beauty and Bedlam

Busy Mom's Tips Tuesday Blog Hop

1 comment:

Johnnie said...

Lovely site. I am stopping by to invite you to come check out week 5 of Thrifty Thursdays. Happy New Year!

Johnnie