1. Hand washing: This is one of the best ways to prevent infection and illness. Make sure your kids wash their hands before school/daycare, after school/daycare, before eating, after play dates, etc…
Teach your children to sing “Happy Birthday” twice while using soap and before rinsing.
2. Keep hands away from eyes, nose, and mouth: Cold and flu viruses enter the body via the eyes, nose, and mouth so teach your children to keep their hands away from their faces. I have a toddler so I understand that this is a very difficult thing to do, but this just means that frequent hand washing is even more important! Also, teach your children to never share drinks with their friends!
3. Plenty of sleep: “Sleep deprivation nearly doubles the risk of getting a cold or flu”.
4. Stay active: “Regular exercise can cut the number of cold and flu episodes occurring over the course of a year by 25 to 50 percent!”
5. Get the flu vaccine: The Children’s Hospital at the University of Michigan found that 66% of parents have concerns about the safety of the flu vaccine. I know that I am bringing up a touchy subject for many people, and I completely understand that people have their own experiences/opinions/feelings about the flu vaccine, but this is my opinion. I am not saying that you have to agree with me and I am not going to “judge” you if you don’t. I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion!
Many people also believe that the flu vaccine can cause the flu. This is scientifically impossible since the vaccine contains a “dead” virus….. dead….meaning it can’t infect you. Period!
What about FluMist?? It contains a live virus, right? Yes….but it is a weakened form that has been engineered to remove the parts of the virus that make people sick. Many studies have actually shown that the FluMist is more effective than the flu injection. Also, FluMist does not contain thimerosal which is the ingredient in the flu injection that worry most people. Both of my girls will be getting the FluMist this year!
The CDC says that flu vaccine is the single best way to prevent influenza!
6. Healthy diet: A healthy diet can boost your immune system to help prevent infection and illness. A healthy diet needs to be in place before you get sick rather than waiting until you get sick. Include more colorful fruits and vegetables….they contain Vitamin C and D. Vitamin D has recently been shown in studies to help prevent the flu specifically….even H1N1! What if you have a picky eater? That brings me to my next point!
7. Vitamins: My 5 year old is a very picky eater. I know that she does not get all her nutritional needs from her diet! Also, many of the fruits and vegetables that we buy do not contain the amount of nutrients that we think they do. In most cases, they are grown thousands of miles away, picked before they are ripe, treated or frozen/canned. Many are grown in fields that are over-used and therefore the soil does not contain the nutrient level that it used to years ago. While I totally agree that we should maintain a healthy diet with the right amounts of fruits and vegetables, I still give my children multivitamins so that I know for sure that they are getting the vitamins and minerals that they need every day.
On that note, did you know that many multivitamins contain fillers such as coal tar, sawdust, and sand to bind them together?!? Yuck! Most children’s multivitamins contain artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, and preservatives too.
Shaklee’s children’s vitamins are different!
Shakleekids Incredivites is the first children's chewable multivitamin in the U.S. with Lactoferrin, a nutrient also found naturally in breast milk and researched for its role in activating components of the immune system, which helps kids' immune systems stay supercharged. Packed with 23 essential nutrients, it's the world's best kids' supplement-with 600 IU of vitamin D to support strong bones and teeth, and 100% of the Daily Value of all eight B vitamins and vitamin C. Just two a day and off they play. Now that's incredible!
Some other facts about Incredivites:
- With 23 essential nutrients, it is the best infant and toddler multivitamin and multimineral supplement available
- Provides a unique blend of clinically tested prebiotics to help support strong immunity
- Each serving meets the American Academy of Pediatrics' recommended daily intake of 400 IU of vitamin D for strong bones and teeth
- Can be used as an added source of nutrients during the transition phase from breast milk or formula to solid foods to ensure your little ones get nutrients they need
- Pleasant-tasting powder mixes easily with water, juice, and food for added nutrition
For more information about the children’s vitamins that I use, visit my online Shaklee shop here.
Become a member and save 15% off of Shaklee products for life!