Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is your home toxic??

image
Our homes are supposed to be a safe place that we can feel comfortable in with our families. What most people don’t realize is that, according to the EPA, the air inside our homes is usually more polluted than the outside air of highly industrialized cities such as Los Angeles! Much of that “pollution”, that the EPA is referring to in that statement, is from chemicals in products that we *think* are making our homes cleaner and safer. I sure was surprised to find that many of the products I have been using for years contained chemicals that were known to cause cancer (carcinogens) or affect the nervous system (neurotoxins)  in many negative ways (I will focus on this more specifically in a future post).
image
In the past, when I purchased cleaning products, I was more interested in how well they worked than what warnings were on the label. Do you know that the label on the toilet cleaner that I was using instructed me to use safety glasses, goggles, a face shield, and personal protective equipment such as a *respirator* while cleaning the toilet!! What?!?!
image
During my frugal shopping trips, I have learned to not be so “brand loyal” in order to get a better bargain. Because of that I have used a large variety of cleaning products from all different brands. A couple of times, I have purchased “green” cleaners because I was able to get them at such a great price. If you have ever shopped for anything “green” or organic, you know that they are typically priced higher than similar “non-green” products. I have only been disappointed with the “green” cleaning products that I have used though. One time, I only made it halfway through the bottle of a “green” multi-purpose cleaner before I decided that I just couldn’t take it anymore and I threw the rest of it out. Another time, I suffered through the 3 bottles of “green” cleaner that I had paid very little for and was so relieved when I was finally finished with them and could go back to my usual brand.
image
Shaklee products are different. They are natural, but…..THEY ACTUALLY WORK!! I will even put it out there that they clean better than any other cleaner (“green” or “non-green”) product that I have ever used (examples to come in a future posts). They don’t leave a residue behind or become too “sudsy” which was my main complaint with the other “green” cleaners that I have used.

I think that most of us are aware of the recent controversy regarding BPA (Bisphenol A) and the fact that it is present in so many plastic items we use every day….canned soups, baby bottles, reusable food containers, water bottles, and more. Many of us have probably also heard of the dangers of Phthalates that are commonly found in many personal care items, shower curtains, and more. These are just 2 of the hazards that are present all around us on a daily basis. CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta hosted a two-night special on CNN called “Toxic America”. David S. Martin, Senior Medical Producer at CNN, has a very informative article on the Toxic America website that would be worth your time to read:

“5 toxics that are everywhere: Protect yourself 

 

All Shaklee packaging is free of BPA, phthalates, and toxic inks.
I will be sharing my experience with the Shaklee Get Clean line including before and after pictures as well as what makes Shaklee products stand out from the household cleaners that we are most familiar with.

No comments: